It takes a Free man to set a man Free!

It takes a Free man to set a man Free!

Friday, February 24, 2012

Reviving the Church - Part 7


We are told in verse 4 there are a few people who have not been stained by the world. The verse goes on to explain what those people will receive as a result. These are rewards are available for those who walk down the road of revival and on to life.
Let’s look at verses 4-6 to see the rewards of revival for the church. Revelation 3:4 “But you have a few people in Sardis who have not soiled their garments; and they will walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” The ones who overcome will be clothed in white. Sounds churchy right well here are two meanings of this…one is we will be pure in God’s sight. God will look at us through Jesus. Jesus will be our shield. White has always been a symbol of purity. We can see this over the years and in all our teaching. This is why brides wear white dresses. At least years ago I could go on and on with this topic but I won’t. I am afraid in our society, this symbolism has lost its true meaning. The second meaning deals with being victorious. The winner of a competition would be covered with a white robe. It was a symbol of victory. Heard the song victory in Jesus! Old, but a great song.
Again as we end this short study on the Church at Sardis I want to review. The church at Sardis looked good on the outside, but they were dead or dying inside. Remember that a cemetery looks good, but it is not full of life. Is this a letter that Jesus would send to us? I am afraid that this is a letter that many churches would receive if Jesus wanted to send it. Here are a few things to think about, If we would be one of those churches, we have time to change. The bible lays out the road for revival in this passage. If most of us saw a person dying before us, or if we saw a friend or family member killing themselves slowly with cigarettes, we would try to help them. If we saw a friend or family member pass out in front of us, we would try to revive them. Jesus saw that this church needed something to revive it. I see churches die every day and I my heart break to see this happen. As I was cleaning house today I was listen to Louie Giglio today on his podcast talk about the dying church and I was like wow. I think He has read my mind…. And last week was talking to a pastor friend of mine and we where talking about the dying church… It seemed the point of views all where the same as mine. After thinking on this I came to face it’s not that they stole my point of view but the issues are all the same. The problems dying churches are facing are facing the same things as others. Its what they are going to do with the issue that makes or brakes them. I know I could go on for weeks and weeks on this topic of the dying church. And I do plan on coming back on this topic in a few weeks. However for now I am going to move. If you want to know more or hear more about the topic feel free to write me or comment your questions.
In His Grip,
Pastor J