It takes a Free man to set a man Free!

It takes a Free man to set a man Free!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Noel


As Christmas is around the block I stop to think of all the many Christmas songs I enjoy. One of the 1st that come to mind is "The 1st Noel" I have to stop and take time and get some history and back ground on this word "Noel" The Wikipidia states Noel (or noël) is an alternate word for Christmas. The word comes from the French word Noël meaning "Christmas" which derives from the old French word noël, a variant of nael. The Latin origin is the word natalis ("birth"). Some even believe the word comes from and meaning "The good news". Did you know "good news" in the Greek is simply "Gospel". I hear over and over again people use the term "That's Greek to me" and it's funny as in truth most people know Greek they just don't know they know it. Most people know one one the 1st places I ever worked was a Greek restaurant and during my many years of middle school (yes I worked under the table at a young age) and high school the Greek family took me under their wing and if you know anything about the Greeks you would know they are like one big mafia family who love hard but will to die for one of their own if they had too. In many ways I was adopted by this family and become one of their own. From lifestyle to who I hung out with, to what I ate and even to being able to attend a church with the family. It was a great part of life I will never forget. Well all that to give a little bit of a background on who I am today. In the town Debbie and I are currently living in there is a Greek restaurant up the road and many of times I have enjoyed some fellowship and even a free glass of tea there. While I was their this week I asked about the Holidays and the family views Christmas. Here is how things went.

Me: Τι είναι επάνω με τα Χριστούγεννα εδώ;
C: Ένας χρόνος από την οικογένεια και το καλό φαγητό, όπως γνωρίζετε
Me: Χριστούγεννα είναι κάτι περισσότερο από τα δώρα
Me: νομίζετε
C: ναι πάντα
Me: Καλά είμαι μακριά Μαΐου έχετε μια μεγάλη Χριστούγεννα
C:Εν Χριστώ
In a nutshell after a short chat It can't down to the true meaning of Christmas and that's Christ ( Χριστώ)
Have your ever wonder where XMas comes from? From the Greek word Χριστώ.